I always wanted to be a runner. To go on ‘Morning runs’ like everyone else. Well, last year I ran my first 6 mile run without stopping! I was so proud of myself, thinking this was the moment I considered myself a ‘runner’.
Running every night, (I never actually went on those awesome ‘morning runs’.) when I started I ran 1 mile.. I ran this for a week or so, than switched it to 2 miles.. than 3. Once I passed 3 miles a night, I would increase my distance by .5 of a mile. The next week I would do 3.5 miles.. Than 4 miles.. As you can tell, I started to get the hang of it! 3 miles became my short run.
You’re obviously reading this because you’re interested in running more or starting to run. Running for cardio, running for weight lose; which ever it is, I’ve got some tips for you!
10 Running Tips for Beginners:
- Start off easy. If you don’t run, or haven’t in a long time, don’t try to run a mile. Don’t push yourself to hard when you’re trying to get in the hang of things. Start off slow, and gradually increase speed and distance. This will also help prevent shin splints.
- Stretch before and after. This will prevent injury while running.
- Get good shoes! Don’t try to run in anything flat soled. Get something with good arch support.This can help prevent injury’s and even improve your performance! Good shoes are key!
- Socks. Now this one sounds funny because why would you get special socks for running? WELL LET ME TELL YOU! They have running socks that prevent blisters, have extra padding so your sock doesn’t fall when you’re running and most of them are lightweight and breathable (Mine even have lifetime warranty, What?!). I love these socks. They are more pricey, but you’ll fall in love.
- Headphones and Arm Strap for your phone. Since I would went running at night, it got cold, I bought headphones that covered my ears and this helped a ton with keeping my ears warm! Also, you’ll most likely need something to hold your phone while running so it isn’t bouncing up and down. They are less than $5 on Amazon.
- Eat Carbs before you go running. This has always helped me feel energized. I love carbs, I eat carbs before I go workout to give me energy. This is a great tip for the gym too. Eating carbs 30 min – 1 hour before you leave will help give you energy to push through the run!
- Pre-Workout – This is a great resource, especially if you get tired easily. I always took pre-workout before running and it helped push me through the run. The longest run I’ve done is 6 miles and I honestly think it was because I had pre-workout. I probably could have run a marathon that night. I had so much energy!
8. Breathe correctly when running. Inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth. This can help with those awful side-aches you get when running. Also, try to control your breathing. This can help slow your heart rate so you don’t get exhausted to quickly.
9. Cross Train – You can do other things like Cross training to help you become a better running. You can build up your leg muscles to help endurance and performance!
10. Go slow- Don’t think you have to sprint each time you go running. I’m probably the worlds slowest runner, but I can run further because of it, I don’t get tired as easily. Don’t use all your energy at once.
Running is a great way to reach fitness goals, and to release stress. If you have a lot on your mind, running is a great solution. Running can be hard at first, but I promise it gets easier, and it gets better. You may even start experiencing a runners high! Let me know in the comments what tips you have, and what has helped you!
Thanks for reading!